Saturday, February 12, 2005

Bjork, Clinic and other melodies...

So, as of today, I can say that Elias crawls, officially, no more face sliding, and has two teeth. He has actually been crawling for at least a solid three weeks, and much time is now spent preventing catastrophic head bashes and the thwarting the insertion of dangerous materials into the mouth. It is a challenge to keep kids from hurting themselves without squelching their creativity and pride.

Also, according to the doctor and the amount of drool that continues to flow from his oral regions indicates that more are teeth on the way! Yippee! But what's happening to my little baby?? This continues to cause grumpiness at times throughout the day. But, maybe the teeth will all come in quickly and then we'll have some peace. We'll see. His teeth are sharp little buggers that are not afraid to lock onto mommy's teet! Ouch.

I have started *trying* to feed Elias solid foods. At first, he was way into the rice cereal. Then, I introduces pears, not a big fan of the pears. And now, he is not interested in any cereal or anything. I am, as usual, kinda freaking out, imagining a severely anemic 2 year old grasping weakly onto my sagging breast, not a pretty thought. So, I got some information regarding starting solid foods from the health library at Kaiser. There was a video I checked out: Feeding with Love and Good Sense. It was the cruelest video a parent could watch. The video showed all of these "NOT TO DO" scenarios and said awful things like, "Now Matthew may feel badly about himself," after his father did all the wrong things when trying to feed him. It was so traumatic because I was certain I had already done all of the awful things they said not to do, and therefore, according to the video, had really screwed up Elias, I was so depressed. Ho hum. Elias, if you are reading this 20 years from now, after years of psychotherapy, know that I was only trying to help you grow. Sorry for wanting to to eat food, assuming that you were hungry because you eat all night long.

Elias has also shown preference to the soothing sounds of Vespertine, Post and Telegram by Bjork. He is lulled to a calm state as he listens to all of the interesting instruments utilized by such a creative mind. He also enjoyed Clinic the other day in the car. He is definitely hip and trendy in that way. Usually in the car, we start out or end up with these tunes blasting loudly in order to calm the beast who does not appreciate the restraint provided by his car seat. This music causes the most blank stare I have ever seen on a human. He becomes so still that I wonder if he didn't just choke on a button or something and die. His eyes do not blink and he does not move at all for what seems like minutes (as observed from the special baby spy mirror from the back seat). To be honest, the effects of these tunes kinda freaked me out yesterday. I almost pulled over to check for a pulse! I am thankful, in other ways, that the screaming is quieted and more importantly, that our little bug can sit back, relax and enjoy the ride whilst enjoying music that is tolerable by all (except maybe for Brad).

1 comment:

Pevil said...

It appears I need to burn some stuff for Baby E! Much to Brad's dismay...now to find a computer with a working CD burner....