Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Scary Tongue

A week or so ago, our friend Lara came over for lunch. Elias sat like a big boy in his own chair at the table as we chatted and ate our sandwiches. Every so often, Elias would look at Lara and flash one of his handsome "hey baby" grins which melt the ladies. He would also frequently throw in a little tongue action into the mix, not to look hot, I don't think, although it did. Mostly because he notices that he's got this weird sharp thing in his mouth that feels funny. It was all fun and cute.

Then, from out of nowhere, he looks at me with the look of sheer terror/fear and starts to cry. I go to pick him up to console him and ask him what's wrong. Lara says she made a face at him, which I apparently missed. I got him out of his seat and he still seemed pretty upset, especially when he noticed that Lara was still sitting across the table. I asked, "What kinda face did you make?" and Lara opens her mouth as wide as she can and rolls out her tongue, covering up her chin. Yikes, I thought to myself. I hope that one doesn't cause any permanant scars (just kidding, Lara).

Actually, what I thought was most interesting is that Elias had never shown fear of anything before. He's really growing up. Isn't it weird that fear is a sign of growth in this odd way?

1 comment:

Pevil said...

followed by monsters under the bed....